for OSX 10.9-
USD 9 at
|Easy-to-use custom icon tool to combine and attach images to desktop items.
iconStiX is a custom icon tool to combine images, shapes & text and attach the composition to desktop items such as folder. You can use the app normally or as Finder's services.
multiple objects (image, shape and text) can be added and ordered in a list
edit the objects in various way (move, resize, rotate, skew, color, shadow, change font)
a retouch tool (overdraw or erase specified color)
preview of scaled images
attach / remove custom icons (read/write permission is required)
possible to change the max icon size to reduce memory use (refrain from high quality)
saving own documents to be used as template (QuickLook compatible)
export as image (icns, png, tiff)
a separate panel to keep favorite icons
Finder services: copy, attach, remove, and open (more...)
What's new in v.3.2 :
Several adjustments for OS X Yosemite :
▪ Deprecated methods are replaced.
▪ QuickLook plugin, which is included in the app, is updated.
▪ Icon attachment methods regarding alias (bookmark) and symlink are modified so that their originals are processed.
▪ A few lately intruded bugs are fixed (mainly in relation to drawing shapes and text).
For OSX v.10.6.x-10.8.x, iconStiX v.2.3.2 is available.
for OSX 10.9-
USD 4.99 at
Mac App Store
for OSX 10.9-
USD 5 at
|A compact icon tool specialized in coloring folders.
Please note ColoFolX [without the last "S"] is available at the Mac App Store (MAS) only and licences are NOT exchangeable. The MAS version is slightly different due to its limitation posed by the sandbox environment; for instance, it has NO shortcut-assignment possibility. The two apps may also differ from each other according to their versions.
Basic steps are very simple:
1. Launch ColoFolX[S].
2. Drag & drop a folder to a color cell.
Or use as a Finder service:
1. Right- (or ctrl-) click a folder in the Finder.
2. Select "ColoFolX[S]" from the contextual menu.
3. Click a color cell.
Note: these 3 steps need to be repeated if you like to change the same folder's color again.
Cell colors are adjustable with the color sliders or using the color panel.
Possible to keep not only colors but also your favorite folder icons on the main panel (drop an icon image to the empty cell while pressing the alt (option ⌥)-key).
Custom icon max size can be limited to reduce memory use.
Finder tags can be linked to the ColoFolX[S] colors, so that they are added or removed when you change icons with ColoFolX[S].
Possible to list the items marked with ColoFolX[S].
[ColoFolXS only] Shortcuts can be assigned to the removal function and each ColoFolXS color.
Note: they are valid while ColoFolXS is running, while the shortcut assigned to the Finder service works to launch the app.
For more details, please refer the readme file included in the ColoFolXS package and click the '?' buttons in the app.
What's new in ColoFolXS v.1.3 :
▪ Better compatibility with OS X Yosemite (v.10.10.3).
▪ Option to hide the edit area of the main panel.
▪ Option to update color icons according to the current settings (color, style, base icon) while searching on the list panel (⌘L).
Release at the Mac App Store should follow sometime later.
SideEffects would be nice, if you are looking for a tool to bring color to the sidebar icons.
XtraFinder would be helpful, if you also like to add background color to filenames (in addition to tags).
for OSX 10.8- ca.21 MB
USD 11 at
|Background custom icon service program for OS X Finder.
iconXprit enhances the Finder's services with its menu containing several custom icon relevant functions. It offers advanced features such as defining group colors, adding editable text, customizable menu, and an editor with a scribble tool, effect filters and free transformation, in addition to the basic attachment / removal possibilities.
After installation, ctrl-click (or right-click) an item in the Finder to get its contextual menu including "iconXprit". Then, select the menu item (click once) to get the full iconXprit service menu.
To skip the first step, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to "iconXprit" (e.g. ⇧⌘X; cf. "Services Preferences…" under the Finder menu).
For quicker use, iconXprit can be launched at log-in; then, its status item is visible in the menubar.
What's new in v.3.4:
▪ Internal adjustments for better compatibility with the latest OS X.
What was new in v.3.3:
▪ Two options to adjust coloring are added to the Preferences / Colors: a "Coloring intensity" slider and a "Color overall (no grayscale area exclusion)" check box.
▪ A few internal updates (by Finder selection retrieval, default icon retrieval, etc).
For earlier OSX, please check the archive.
for OSX 10.8-
USD 15 at
|Create multi-page documents as making scrapbooks.
Draw and adjust path objects (default and custom shapes, free lines, or lines & curves in mixture), write or paste text where you want, drag & drop images which can be scaled and modified with various filters, add simple tables, stamp date & page... Finally export the whole or a part of the document in various image formats (pdf, tiff, jpeg, png, icns). You can also start with existing image files and add any objects described above.
Just handy for multiple purposes!
What's new in v.1.8
▪ Support for autosaving documents; i.e. new items under the "File" menu: 'Duplicate', 'Rename', 'Move To' & 'Revert To' as well as a clickable window title.
▪ Various internal adjustments for energy efficiency and better compatibility with the latest OS X (v.10.10 GM3).
For OSX 10.3.x-10.7.x, please have a look at the archive.
for OSX 10.8-
USD 9 at
|Jigsaw puzzle with your favorite images - relax or challenge with the timer.
You can adjust various puzzle settings (image size, piece patterns and numbers, single or two-sided), view options (board color, piece outline, etc.), sounds and shortcut key assignment.
To change image, drop your image (e.g. your digital photo such as you see here ) on the program icon or on the puzzle board if JiXii is already open.
Your puzzles can be saved as "JiXii Cards" (.jixi) with your message and specific settings separately from the main puzzle.
What's new in v.3.3
▪ Internal revision for faster piece creation & drawing.
Note: java applets saved using JiXii are not code-signed and deprecated in the Java 7 environment, though they still work locally as stand-alone apps (double-click the created jar file). For the earlier Java environments a quick tutorial is available.
For earlier OSX 10.1.5-10.7.x, please have a look at the archive.